Saturday, October 23, 2010

An Irrepressible Cynic?


Over the years from a young age I have always had a keen interest in following news from around the world. As I grew up this interest only strengthened and became more focused. Thus as I describe in my twitter bio I became a follower of international politics & current affairs. I felt passionately about the injustices happening around the world.

The advent of the social networking, initially Orkut and also Hi5 (who remembers that one??), then later Facebook and then above all (for me) Twitter, set the groundwork to increase my interest (or should I say obsession) in current affairs. I followed news from varied sources, shared my opinions, interacted with many others of similar ilk, debated and argued with sensible and also hypocritical populace, all on issues which were never really directly connected to me. Of course these activities always went on a parallel course to my regular academic and now professional life. My friends mostly observed this interest of mine with a nonchalant bemusement. And I somehow managed to sustain my awareness though I never had the benefit of sharing this interest with many.

My attention to news has predominantly been oriented around Middle-east and South Asia and invariably when being a slactivist and commenting upon injustices in these regions it is inevitable that you acquire an anti-American tone.  Thus very recently in an online debate with a sensible person I have developed an “anti-American ethos” and have become too “cynical to take a step back and opine”. While I refuted these claims instantly it did prompt certain level of introspection in my mind. US military and political actions hardly provides any room for “pro-American” views for anyone with a sense of justice. Other than that Obviously being a malayali it is in our “ethos” to atleast be a tad cynical / skeptical about everything and I do not deny that in my nature. But beyond that world news for a reasonable amount of time is sufficient to make any optimist into a cynic.

Other than this I was also informed that I manage to induce further depression to depressed minds with depressing insights about depressing news/events. Anyone following world events will vouch to say that it invariably leaves you with a depressed feeling. Many a times I have wondered why I follow all these news. What purpose does it serve? Never have I been able to make a difference. Than why do I..?? Maybe...just maybe, there is a hidden optimist in me, clutching to a straw of hope that it will all eventually be of some use. All the reading, viewing, understanding, thinking, analyzing, introspecting will someday enable to make a tiny bit of difference. If nothing else this thought carries me through particularly depressing moments.

5 comments:

  1. After a long time,Noufel, landed back on your profile,nice post, another one by you.

    One thing which i am sure about is that all of your: reading, viewing, analyzing,introspection one day will make a difference, even a tiny bit of difference,yes it will. Making a person more grounded, philanthropist etc. As long as the path on which one walks/walked is right, it is always productive.
    Devika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey..Devika..you have come back as a transformed being I see :) Well as always ur very kind..hope what you say come true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Transformation process took a year back, but you can say i have come back with a bang :p
    Nope, i am not kind but i said by observing you. And definitely, sooner or later, good things happen with nice people.

    Between how are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey next when you come online just check on my sketches... though they ain't a masterpiece but would love if u clicked to view them here it is

    http : // devikassketches.blogspot . com

    remove the spaces

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Noufel

    I write to you on behalf of The Viewspaper (www.theviewspaper.net) which is India's largest youth paper and the 5th largest media company on Facebook.

    We are organizing the World's Largest Tweet-A-Thon! and would like to invite you as a panelist for the same.

    From American political journalists in the 1950s, to The Economist magazine not so long ago; speculation has run rife about India and whether we will survive as a nation.

    Poverty. Corruption. Terrorism. Disease. Currency woes. We’ve got it all, and more. We’ve been written off, doomsdayed, delegitimized – but we keep coming back! What is the root of this appetite for adversity, this solid resilience?

    It is our nation’s optimism. No matter how much you bring her down, India feels up!

    A first of its kind initiative, the #IFeelUp Tweetathon is a 3-day virtual conference, which delights in the irrepressible state of the nation, in spite of its laundry list of issues. Over 72 hours, we’ll be bringing in 400 panelists for non-stop discussion, and that’s where you come in.

    We would like to invite you as a panelist for a 30 minute session wherein you can participate from any part of the world.

    If you're interested, kindly email us your contact information so that we could provide you with more details about the event.

    I look forward to hearing from you.Please mail us at garima@theviewspaper.net

    Regards

    Garima Obrah
    The Viewspaper

    ReplyDelete